Elementary school years set the tone for developing the knowledge, attitudes and skill necessary for children to become healthy, competent and confident learners. Through a comprehensive developmental school counseling program, the counselors collaborate with the school staff, parents, and the community to help all children achieve academic success.
Guidance Counselors: Rachel Gulezian and Danielle McCamish
We teach a developmental curriculum in classes, and meet with students in small groups and individually.
In addition, McMahon houses Spurwink Counselors who work with students one-on-one. We also have one Spurwink Case Manager who provides support to families and links them to community resources. For more information, visit the Spurwink Website.
Topics of Interest & Resources
Attendance at school is essential to your child's educational success. Maine law requires that persons between the ages of 7 and 17 attend school. Absenses need to be identified as excused or unexcused.
In order for an absence to be excused, parents must notify the school, either by phone call or a written note. A student with 7 unexcused absenses is considered truant.
Did you know...
- Even as young as Kindergarten, students who miss school can fall behind.
- Even just missing 1 or 2 days every few weeks adds up and can make it harder for students to learn and keep up.
- When students are absent it can affect the whole class if teachers have to slow down to make sure students can catch up.
- Chronic absence is considered 18 or more days of school missed.
Build attendance habits early! Every day counts!
What you can do to help:
- Have routines for bedtime and morning and stick to them
- Prepare backpacks the night before
- Have your child go to school unless he is truly sick.
- Sometimes a child complains of a stomach ache or a headache. This can be a sign of anxiety. Please reach out to the counselors and social worker if you believe your child has anxiety about coming to school.
- Whenever possible, schedule medical appointments and vacations for when school is not in session.